Thursday, August 30, 2012

Making an assembly table


I have built wood projects on the floor of the garage, in the driveway and on plywood sheets on a pair of sawhorses, but I have never owned an assembly table. While planning this out I thought of all the problems I have experienced while putting together a project. I must have walked one-hundred miles over the years just in my garage looking for tools, sandpaper and such. I needed drawers in the table to hold router bits, sandpaper, sanders and finishing products. I have already built a cabinet on rollers that holds all fasteners, thirty different kinds of screws, five different kinds of nails, staple guns, screw guns, pin guns and all my clamps.   I just needed a table to roll that cabinet up to. I told my wife we needed a better chest of drawers in our bedroom. After we bought one, I took the old dresser and started to build a table frame around it. I also wanted a large floor shelf to store large tools. I painted that shelf before I installed it with the same pattern I painted the garage floor with. I then attached an  electrical box so I would have only one extension cord in the garage floor. Remembering how hard it was to hold down a large flat board and try to sand it, or carve it at the same time, I imbedded a four feet T-Track into the top of the table to hold boards flat in place. I bought several different types of hold down attachments for the T-Track. That is most likely the biggest benefit to this table over other work tables. I also inserted the top of the table into a frame so I can easily replace it when it gets too banged up. Add two wood vices and we have an assembly table. 




No comments:

Post a Comment